Monday, August 8, 2011

New kitchen item.

Day 120

Today I found something at a thrift store that I've wanted for a long time; a butcher block island table:



Check out the close-up of the space for knives along the back:



I finally have a large surface for chopping my veggies. I already sterilized it with a vinegar/water solution, and now I need to buy some food-grade vegetable oil for sealing it. It has a bunch of knife marks in it, which I'm guessing is why the previous owner got rid of it, but they don't bother me at all. Now I just need to make sure that stuff doesn't get piled on it. This is my FOOD PREP area, not the pile-up area! Naturally this has set off a flurry of rearranging my kitchen stuff once again. I haven't figured out what I want to put on that one level with all the dowels. I'm guessing that's supposed to be for storing wine, but we don't drink wine.

3 comments:

  1. I did my dinner prep on it tonight, and it was great! Lots of room to spread everything out, and it was a really nice surface for chopping; my knives probably won't need sharpening as often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some thrift store finds. While I was thrifting on Staycation last week, I scored me a very unique wooden chair. Loves it.

    ReplyDelete