Friday, July 9, 2010

Dehydrating Veggies & Growing in Containers

Here's my 2nd squash dehydration experiment. As you can see, my dehydrator is not huge. This is a Nesco American Harvest dehydrator, which comes with four trays. You can buy more trays and the directions say that it will handle 12 trays at a time, but so far I've made do with the original four.

I was able to fit one 8-ball and one crookneck squash on this tray. I brushed them with coconut oil, and lightly seasoned them with a parsley, salt and garlic powder mix. It will take about 10 hours to dry these.


I have a big garden area out back, but I hadn't finished planting my veggies when I broke my ankle a few months ago. I really didn't feel like mucking about in the dirt with my compression boot, so I decided to plant a couple of stragglers in two half-barrels I have right outside the kitchen door. The one on the left is an Armenian cucumber, the one on the right is a yellow crookneck squash. So far they're doing just fine in their limited growing areas.

4 comments:

  1. Nice, things are looking more sleek and streamlined over here :)

    Ok the chips look great and your dehyd is jammin! I have banana crepes in mine. Recipe to unfold this week...omg freakin off the chain good (the batter at least)

    Word verif is off

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay yes, it's off! thank you!!!!!!!!! god i wish other people would take it off!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See how I figured out how to line the words up on the right? I'm on a steep learning curve here; not too hard when I don't know anything to begin with!

    Yeah, word verification is a pain in the butt. It usually takes me 4 or 5 tries before I can read the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I often see your comments on Charlotte's Blog and thought I'd pop over. I have a very small yard, so I do quite a bit of gardening in containers. Most of the time it works well. :)

    ReplyDelete