Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Squash Chips

Squash production in my garden is in full swing. In the past week I've been fixing stir-fried squash. Raw squash "spaghetti". Squash fixed pizza-style with marinara, cheese and pepperoni (or "squizza".) Julienned in spring rolls. I do love squash, but I've been struggling to keep up with the supply.
Seemed like the perfect time to try making squash "chips". This morning I filled four dehydrator trays with 1/4" slices of zucchini and yellow crookneck squash. I decided not to use any seasonings at all this first time; I wanted to see what just squash would taste like.

10 hours later, I wound up with the jar you see me holding. (Minus a few that I taste tested.)

Not bad! I should have left the larger slices in for another hour to make them crunchy; some of them are decidedly chewy. They should be great with dip; hummus, perhaps.

Next time I'm going to season them and maybe try one tray with a bit of coconut oil to see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. coconut oil + bananas slices in the dehyd = lovely! pinch of cinnamon too...anything w/ coconut oil rocks!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your honor Ive dragged out the dehydrator!!

    Excitement abounds here.
    and husband is afraid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, he doesn't like food with all the juice sucked out of it?

    ReplyDelete