Thursday, January 20, 2011

Three Ways to Break a Routine



I've completed the first 30 days of my 365 Day Routine-breaker Challenge, and I've discovered that there are three ways to break a routine:

1. Do something you always do, but in a different way.

2. Do something new.

3. Deprive yourself of something you usually do or have.

I've had 13 days of switching things around; where I sit or sleep, what hands I use to perform various tasks, etc.

I added or did something new on 10 days. These were the most rewarding days, because they usually involved some creative endeavor. Some of these additions will be on-going, such as my new job and adding olive oil to my diet. I'm also on a redecorating and painting binge since getting my dining-room chair repainted.

I had seven days of deprivation, and these are definitely my least favorite days. Two items are tied for the worst routine-breakers so far: giving up my computer chair for a day, and not listening to music for a day.

Rob tells me I seem to have more energy and creativity since I started this project. Cool!

(The photo up above has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this post, but it looked naked without a photo. That's me on the Golden Gate Bridge next to a very important sign.)

2 comments:

  1. I know it's intended to be serious, but that sign is so funny! It's like saying not the swim in shark-infested waters because you could potentially be eaten by sharks...LOL

    I also really love your theme of breaking routines. It makes the ordinary extraordinary. I'll have to try that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!
    I think the deprivation one would be hard for me too...mentally that immediately makes me want whatever it is.

    But I like the focus aspect---focusing on what to change and how.
    Interesting perspective!

    ReplyDelete